ARTICLE 19, together with Reporters without Borders, PEN International, Freedom Now, Index on Censorship, Institute for Reporters’ Freedom and Safety, and International Media Support, have produced a Joint UPR Submission on the situation of freedom of expression in Azerbaijan, for consideration at the 30th Session of the UPR Working Group in May 2018.
The submission highlights concerns around:
- Constitutional amendments;
- Safety of journalists;
- Forced closure and harassment of independent media outlets;
- Arbitrary arrests and arbitrary detentions of critics, and allegations of torture and cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment in detention;
- Legislative restrictions to freedom of expression online;
- Legislative restrictions to freedom of association;
- Legislative restrictions to freedom of peaceful assembly.
The Azerbaijani Government has failed to implement many of the recommendations relating to each of these issues accepted during its last UPR in 2013, and our Joint Submission finds the situation has deteriorated quite significantly in the period under review.