ARTICLE 19 and Khoma have contributed to the Human Rights Committee’s forthcoming review of Tajikistan with a report on the situation of freedom of expression.
The submission raises the following freedom of expression priorities and issues for Tajikistan:
- Freedom of expression and peaceful assembley
- Constitutional safeguards for freedom of expression and the right to information
- Restrictions on Freedom of Expression in the Penal code such as defamation and insult
- Counter terrorism provisions which restrict freedom of expression
- Harassment and threats against journalists and media workers
- Media regulation
ARTICLE 19 and Khoma makes recommendations to Tajikistan to make reforms to its Criminal Code; repeal laws and legal provisions which undermine international standards and establish constitutional safeguards for freedom of expression.